Historical Interpretations Hands on History Workshops North of England
MONTHS OPENJanuary, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
What are our school workshops like?
We are probably the largest supplier of activity days for schools and museums in the north of England, and have been re-creating exciting history in schools since the early 1990’s. We teach around 14,000 children each year.
Primarily we teach in schools, but we have given historical and craft demonstrations for Time Team, universities, English Heritage, Forestry Commission, local authorities and museums including Jorvik Viking Centre, Yorkshire Museum, Royal Armouries, and Great North Museum.
- Full time professionals registered for income tax.
- Police checked, fully insured and risk assessed.
- Nearly 40 years combined teaching experience working in KS1, 2 & 3.
- Clear knowledge of the History National Curriculum.
HANDS ON ARTEFACTS
We use archaeology as a way of accessing history, and artefacts to bring the past to life. These are of museum quality, authentic, really do work, and used by pupils in handling sessions to connect to the past. The collection is constantly being reviewed, improved and updated. Our background is in reconstruction archaeology. John is a Research Fellow for the University of Kent in Canterbury.
Your feedback consistently rates our artefacts as excellent and you like;
- How easy it is to book a day.
- The way children are highly engaged and stimulated.
- That we are in school for a full day, 8.10am-3pm.
- The knowledge of our presenters.
- That children enjoy learning history using archaeology.
- That we actually teach, interspersed with activities.
- That days are tailored to suit differing abilities.
- That children are able to handle the artefacts.
- The quality and range of resources we provide.
- That days can be tailored to suit every schools timetable and requirements, especially with regard to the new curriculum.
HORSES, UNUSUAL OR DIFFERENT TOPICS
We have a vast collection of artefacts that can be used to bring any history topic to life. We can provide ideas connected with your area, your topic or your curriculum. And we also bring horses in schools for really “wow” days, portraying cavalry throughout history for a day the pupils will never forget.
- History and everyday life.
- Legends and heroes and heroines.
- Horses through History.
Feedback consistently scores our artefacts as 100% excellent.