Carymoor Environmental Education Centre Somerset
Dimmer Lane, Castle Cary, Somerset, BA7 7NR
MONTHS OPENJanuary, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Listed under: Day Trip Destinations | Biology | Wildlife and Nature Reserves | Team Building | Special Educational Needs (SEN) | Outdoor Education | Ecology & Green Awareness | Environment Centres | Ecological Recycle & Waste Centres | Crafts | Bushcraft | Animal Welfare | Science | PSHE | Mathematics | ICT | History | Geography | Environmental Studies | English | Design and Technology | Citizenship | Art and Design
What we offer on a school trip
Our action-packed day trips give your pupils the chance to learn through hands-on cross-curricular activities. We have safe access to a landfill site all year round, providing first hand experiences of waste management and recycling. School groups also come to our nature reserve to learn about wildlife, plants, habitats, living sustainably, the importance of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, and much more. We even have history days where students can experience what it was like living in the Stone Age or as a Viking, Celt or Anglo Saxon (for more information on the topics available see ‘What is typically included on our school trips’ below).
Our site features a wide range of resources to bring your chosen topic to life, including:
- Our nature reserve – uniquely situated on top of capped landfill – with a wide range of habitats to explore including meadows, woodland, a pond dipping platform, a wildflower garden, and an orchard
- Celtic roundhouse perfect for our history days
- Cob oven for baking bread and pizzas
- Forest school area
- Eco-buildings providing indoor learning space and examples of how we can live more sustainably
- Tranquil story circle perfect for crafts and listening to birds
- Observation hive set up in the summer months so visitors can watch honey bees at work
- Replica shanty town
As well as providing inspirational day visits at Carymoor, our experienced team can also bring the wonder and excitement of Carymoor into your school through a range of assemblies, cross-curricular workshops and project days, all tailored to your needs. Our fun outreach sessions link to themes such as Reduce, Reuse Recycle, composting, sustainable living, energy saving and renewable energy, habitats and attracting wildlife too.