Tudor Barn and Old Brooder Bunkhouse Accommodation Suffolk
The Hall, Lavenham,, Sudbury,, Suffolk, CO10 9NY
MONTHS OPENJanuary, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
What we offer on a school trip
The ancient barn and newly kitted out bunkhouse are 100m or so apart so you can have sole occupancy of either or combine the two and all eat together in the huge atmospheric listed barn.
This is an unusual location, off the beaten track and peacefully surrounded by ancient wildflower meadows, ponds, woodlands, crops, castle earthworks and hedged countryside where bantams scratch amongst the herbs, sheep have lambs in the spring and a couple of Gloucester Old Spot pigs grunt contentedly.
At Milden children, university students, or staff on training days, can get together in spacious, beautiful, ancient and unspoiled surroundings, amidst our sensitively farmed landscape. You can use us as a base to do activities elsewhere or you can do your own thing indoors or outside - or we can lead various historic, environmental or art activities. You have space to explore, orienteer, hug trees, pond dip, write poetry, practice photography, play croquet, paint, play musical instruments, sing, dance, study plants, insects, archaeology - and lots more.
Our family have hosted school activities, music courses and residential groups for over 20 years. Our website gives an indication of the environmental, history re-enactment and art activities we can provide experienced, knowledgeable and friendly leaders for (or ask us for a list). However, many groups come here to use the enormous space we have to run their own music courses, Duke of Edinburgh map practise, play and dance rehearsals. Alternatively guests use here as a base for:
- cricket , hockey or other teams on tour;
• to Go Ape on hire wires in Thetford Forest;
• nearby water-activity centres where guests can kayak down the River Stour (from Sudbury) or sail (Alton Water);
• history visits to castles or joustings (Orford, Framlingham, Hedingham, Mountfichet, Colchester) or re-enactments at Kentwell Hall or West Stow Anglo Saxon village;
• archaeology site visits Sutton Hoo and Grimes Graves;
• Gainsborough House art exhibitions and print workshop courses;
• more leisurely activities such as Colchester Zoo, local museums (Fitzwilliam, Colchester, Rural Life, Ipswich), and National Trust properties (Ickworth, Blickling, Sutton Hoo, Long Melford).
We can unpack a supermarket delivery for you to self-cater or offer catering options with our home-made, and often home-grown, food. And because we live in the farmhouse next door so we are pretty much on-site all the time in case you need us beyond the initial welcome briefing.