The Newport Ship Medieval Ship Project Wales
Newport Medieval Ship Project Unit 20 Estuary Road Queensway Meadows Industrial Estate, Newport, , NP19 4SP
MONTHS OPENMarch, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November
What we offer on a school trip
The Newport Medieval Ship project is just that; it's a project in progress. It's an exciting, live, archaeological conservation project. Currently, we have about 62% of the Ship's timbers back in our climate-controlled store. The remaining 38% are now with our conservation partners in York undergoing the final stage of preservation at York. We are now preparing for the next phase of the project: reconstruction of our impressive Ship in full public view. To this end, you can see the first ‘trial reconstruction’ with 10 timbers now back together for the first time on over 15 years.
Come and hear the stories of the discovery of the wreck, marvel at the sheer scale of the vessel, understand the process behind the recovery, recording and modelling of what the Ship looked like, the conservation process being undertaken, the detective story that defines when and where she was built, and our vision for the future display of the re-assembled Ship. But also come to understand Newport and Medieval times, the lives of the people, the trade that was being plied and the history of the Ship itself: where and when it was built, where it traded, what it carried and why it came to Newport.
They are fascinating stories, told by the enthusiastic volunteer guides who have a passion for this amazing project, delving back into the past and envisioning a future of reconstruction and public display.
The Friends of Newport Ship open the Ship Centre twice a week, on Fridays, Saturdays and Bank Holiday Mondays between Easter and early November (10.30am – 4.00pm), with guided tours telling the story of the project, viewing the store with conserved timbers and our plans for the future. We are now geared up to host school visits, helping learners to gain insights into medieval life and trade. We extend our season on Saturdays from 17 February 2018 until mid December. Full details are on our website.
Group visits for up to 50 visitors at a time can be arranged given prior notice (email firstname.lastname@example.org)