The Green Britain Centre Norfolk
Turbine Way, Swaffham, PE37 7HT
MONTHS OPENJanuary, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Listed under: Day Trip Destinations | Citizenship | Technology | Ecology & Green Awareness | Environment Centres | Ecological Recycle & Waste Centres | Science | Mathematics | Geography | English | Design and Technology | Theatres
What we offer
The Centre has a collection of record-breaking eco vehicles and is set in our award-winning organic gardens with heritage orchard and wildlife areas. The grounds are home to a full scale, working wind turbine. This is the first wind turbine IN THE WORLD open to the public for climbing and educational groups can arrange guided tours to the top via the spiral staircase (minimum age and height restrictions apply).
We run a variety of activities including:
• Eco-trail – follow the trail through our organic gardens, wildlife area and the centre looking at our world record breaking Renewable vehicles
• Windmill Experience – climb the 305 steps to the viewing gallery and experience wind energy from inside a modern Windmill, the first one in the world open for the public to climb!
• Windmill Kits – build your own turbine and see how much electricity you can generate.
• Recycling challenge – work in teams to sort the recycling against the clock
• Theatre – spend some time in our theatre and watch a selection of short eco-films• Grow Your Own – A chance to learn about, and have a go at, growing your own vegetables
• Bug Hotel – Make your very own bug/insect hotel
What makes us a great choice?
We focus on four key areas which account to up to 80% of our CO2 emissions:
- A Place for Nature
- WORLDS FIRST wind turbine open to the public and unique to the UK
- Record-breaking eco vehicles
- 50+ species of apples all organic and heirloom varieties
- 4 acres of award-winning organic gardens
- Organic vegetable garden which supplies the café
- We have indoor and outdoor packed-lunch areas, study grounds, café area and small shop.We have ideal facilities including a selection of study rooms and a 100 seat theatre
Accreditation and Awards
We are an accredited LOtC badge holder.
Group Sizes Catered For
We generally cater for groups from 10 – 150 students at any one time.We generally cater for groups from 10 – 150 students at any one time.
Materials, Resources & Information Provided
We use a selection of delivery methods including, talks, group activities, presentations, activity sheets, problem solving and creative exercises. We can provide any materials required and are also happy to integrate any additional worksheets that schools would like to bring with them.
Photography, Filming & Audio Restrictions
The Green Britain Centre is happy for individual children to take photos, video or audio if appropriate. If a more formal record is planned we would request that prior permission is sought.
Risk Assessment Details
The Green Britain Centre can provide a risk assessment to schools in advance by request. This should be supported by the school’s own risk assessment, as appropriate.
Costs are £6 per student for the 3 activity programme including the Windmill tour. Up to two supervising adults per 15 children are free.Costs are £6 per student for the 3 activity programme including the Windmill tour. (Up to two supervising adults per 15 children are free)
Appropriate footwear is required for climbing the spiral staircase of the turbine. If it is planned that the students will visit the garden appropriate clothing for the weather is recommended.
First Aid Information
We have first aid equipment and have a trained first aider on site. We strongly recommend that, as with any school trip, the school arranges their own first aider to accompany the group.
At the Centre we have a gift shop, café, internal and external areas for eating packed lunches, and toilet facilities. The gift shop stocks low cost items suitable for most school groups.At the Centre we have a gift shop, café, internal and external areas for eating packed lunches, and toilet facilities. The gift shop stocks low cost items suitable for most school groups.
Accessibility & Disabled Facilities
All areas of the Centre have disabled access and we have disabled toilets on each floor. Please note that access to the top of the wind turbine is via a spiral staircase and there is no disabled access. Our staff team will advise and help wherever possible.
Opening Hours & Information
Monday – Friday 9am - 4pm
Saturdays 10am – 4pm
“We have visited it as a school for 14 years” – Mrs Amanda Faye, Beeston Hall Prep“We have visited it as a school for 14 years” – Mrs Amanda Faye, Beeston Hall Prep
“Thank you very much again for another superb visit” – Mr Peter Clarke, Cambridge Programme
“Had such a brilliant day! Children all loved it and have learnt so much. Thank you” – Mrs Abel Docking Primary school
“An Excellent day had by all – extremely well organized and resented to the children – thank you.” – Mrs Newell, Terrington Community
“The kids thought it was 10/10 – very well done to the friendly, wonderful and very accommodating team.”- Mrs Flint, Swaffham Focus School
“A great introduction to our topic about renewable energy – a fab day!” Mrs Moore, George White School