Silver Mountain Experience
The Silver Mountain Experience, Llywernog, Ponterwyd, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales, SY23 3AB
MONTHS OPENJanuary, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
What we offer on a school trip
We know that organising suitable visits for your pupils can be challenging so here at The Silver Mountain Experience our extremely friendly staff work hard to provide a welcome support to your planning needs, and make your visit one of the most successful and memorable learning experiences of the year, linking to your area of curriculum study and helping pupils to develop valuable skills in a unique environment.
At our original 18th and 19th Century Silver-Lead Mine history is brought together with fascinating, fun and engaging experiences which link to Welsh myths and legends dating back centuries. This provides a unique above and underground learning experience which is difficult to find anywhere else.
We are very conscious of the need for such visits to be affordable too, so we are introducing our lowest rates for schools yet in 2018: £4.95 per pupil and teachers go FREE!
We can tailor your visit to suit your class’s requirements:
Package 1: Fun & Fantasy
For younger children: A Dragon’s Tale actor-led tour, searching for our baby dragon Grotty and developing imaginative, communication, literacy, numeracy and creativity skills, helping them to learn through exploration.
For higher key stages: The Black Chasm actor-led tour is a journey of Orcs, Wraiths, Goblins & other myths in a fun, thrilling and dramatic theatrical experience.
Also included: The Storyteller experience, Kindling’s Quest quiz, Fossil Dig, Drawing Den, Woo Hoo Wood & more.
Package 2: Heritage Visit
At the only Lead Mine attraction in Wales, pupils can step into the footsteps of a Miner (A Miner’s Life guided tour) and learn about life during the eighteenth to the early twentieth centuries, see the science of mining, rock formations and environmental aspects, through to learning about the significance of the conservation work going on today and the local importance of this valuable Heritage.
Also included: Time Lab show, Miner’s Trail & quiz, Historical dressing-up, Mining Museum, exclusive access to the Ore Crusher.
Package 3: Mixed Package
Choice of either A Dragon’s Tale, Black Chasm or A Miner’s Life tour, (second tours can be added at £3 per pupil & £4 per teacher) plus either the Time Lab or The Storyteller shows.
Also included: Kindling’s Quest quiz, Miner’s Trail & quiz, I-Spy Nature Trail & quiz, Fossil Dig, Drawing & Dressing Up Den, Den Building, Woo Hoo Wood, Mining Museum & more.
To make the visit extra special, Gem Panning kits can be added for an extra £2 per pupil (normally priced at £3) to guarantee each child a selection of Gems or ‘Fool’s Gold’ to take home with them.
The Silver Mountain Experience provides all of the ingredients that help to make a successful educational visit including:
- Free teacher familiarisation visits with on-site support/liaison available.
- National Curriculum focused: the interactive experiences provided link to History, Welsh, Geography, Environmental Science & Geology, English & Drama in particular.
- Class Resource Pack available (in both English and Welsh) upon request prior to visit.
- Risk Assessment available on request prior to visit.
- Work/Quiz sheets provided on arrival or available in electronic form to print in advance. Priority welcome reception and orientation briefing upon arrival.
- Education area available as a base point for co-ordinating activities and a further covered area for taking picnic lunch etc.
- Outdoor picnic areas for fair weather too.
- Located on main road route (A44) to/from Aberystwyth.
- Café with hot and cold food, drinks, ices etc.
- Gift shop with small/affordable souvenir items available.
- Free coach parking and lunch for coach driver.
- We can also arrange transport for you with Mid Wales Travel, to save you valuable time in organising your school visit.
It is rare to find a venue where a wealth of heritage features with such a rich source of learning sits side by side with fun, fantasy and interactive experiences.