Barnutopia Glamping School Trip Accommodation Shropshire
Katrina Boydon (Discount of 5% for schools group midweek bookings)
Areas served:West Midlands, Wales
Tanycoed Farm, Llansilin, Oswestry, SY10 9BS
MONTHS OPENJanuary, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
What we offer
Barnutopia is a glamping, camping and event venue located in the stunning Shropshire countryside right on the border with Powys, Wales. Owners Katrina and Steve Boydon have worked steadily to create a comfortable and well-equipped site that’s perfect for groups. At just over half a mile from the village of Llansilin, Powys, Barnutopia is in a quiet rural location with excellent access to Oswestry. Oswestry is 5 miles away and well served by public transport (bus station in town and train station 3 miles away) and has a range of large supermarkets (Sainsburys, Aldi, Morrisons, Lidl) and boutique shops.
The glamping village at Barnutopia comprises: 8 glamping units (all fully furnished with beds made up, power, lighting, heating and free password-protected Wi-Fi) Cookhouse lounge (fully equipped kitchen, dining and seating area) Kitchen Shack (second, smaller well-equipped kitchen) Activity barn (155 sq m approx.) with power and lighting Dutch barn (indoor/outdoor space safe for campfires) Bathroom block with 5 toilets (2 wheelchair accessible), 2 urinals and 3 showers ( 1 wheelchair accessible) Yurt field with central area for outdoor games Just across the lane is a campsite for 20 or so small tents or 5-6 large (6+ man tents). We can also hire additional bell tents if required.
When not in use as a campsite, this is a useful larger area for outdoor activities. The main glamping site is completely fenced and the yards gates can be shut. There are many monuments and sites of historic interest within easy driving distance of Barnutopia. Oswestry is one of the oldest market towns in Britain and has a unique position on the Welsh border with gives rise to Welsh and English inflences. Owners Katrina and Steve Boydon have four children and many years’ experience organizing activity camps for corporate groups, youth groups and, since opening Barnutopia, family glamping packages with breakfasts, suppers, activities and an excursion. The format lends itself perfectly to school trips.
Accreditation and Awards
Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence.
Group Sizes Catered For
Up to 35 in glamping units (if double beds are NOT shared). Up to 120 on site in glamping units (if double beds ARE shared) and tents (not supplied) are pitched.
Risk Assessment Details
We have completed fire risk assessments and health and safety risk assessments, of course, and can provide those. We can also help with any school/trip-specific risk assessments required. We post instructions in each unit and communal areas, have smoke alarms, fire point and fire assembly point etc. We check electrical sockets/appliances visually every time we clean between guests and the smoke alarms at the same time.
First Aid Information
First aid on site, please provide first aid trained group leaders within your group.
- Site-wide free Wi-Fi.
- Huge activity barn with fairy lights and dance floor.
- Selection of tables and chairs.
- Camping field. (a useful outdoor activity space)
- Fully equipped cookhouse/large lounge Second small kitchen shack.
- Bathroom block. (with wheelchair accessible toilets and shower)
- Sturdy picnic tables and outdoor furniture.
- Dutch Barn, a great indoor/outdoor space where you may have campfires Small music system for use with playlist on phone, for example. Not a professional system.
- Use of suite of rooms in farmhouse for teachers/supervisors’ meetings, as needed (day use only)
- CATERING Snack shop by arrangement.
Freedom to self-cater or use outside caterers or Barnutopia catering options 5-star food hygiene rating. Dietary preferences okay. Breakfasts, suppers and packed lunches by arrangement with Barnutopia.
Prices as follows: Breakfast only, part-board breakfast and supper, or full-board breakfast, lunch and supper.
Please send details of group size for quote.
We can incorporate an outdoor griddle meal and/or a campfire cookout as part of the experience. Happy to do a combination of self-catering and board as needed.
Accessibility & Disabled Facilities
It depends on the degree of disability. The site is an ex farm and as such there is unmanicured terrain and steps here and there. Both the activity barn and cookhouse ARE wheelchair accessible. The only accommodation unit that would be easily wheelchair accessible is stable Stephanie.
The bathroom block has a wheelchair accessible toilet with hand basin and a wheelchair accessible shower room with toilet and hand basin. We have had disabled children who spend some of their time in a wheelchair stay here. They loved it.
Opening Hours & Information
24 hrs a day / 7 days a week.
We have 160+ 5-star reviews on Facebook. TripAdvisor, Airbnb and Pitchup. See http://barnutopia.com/barnutopia-reviews/ .
We have also arranged and run 15 or so single parent activity breaks for up to 30 parents and children.
Room Sizes and Facilities
Glamping Units TOTAL sleeps 35 in separate beds. 47 if king and double beds shared. (additional guests in their own tents or we can source bell tents with airbeds are additional cost)
- Bunkhouse Bethan sleeps 10 on single mattresses on 2 bunk platforms
- Yurt Axana sleeps 5 on king bed and 2 x triple bunks (single over double). 8 if beds shared.
- Ranch house Ray sleeps 5 on double bed, bunk bed (single over single), double sofa bed and single chair bed. 7 if beds shared.
- Yurt Bronwyn sleeps 4 on king bed, bunk bed and double sofa bed. 6 if beds shared.
- Yurt Carianne sleeps 3 on double bed and bunk bed. 4 if bed shared.
- Yurt Nanny Iris sleeps 3 on triple bunk and single bed. 4 if bed shared.
- Cabin Connie sleeps 3 on triple bunk and single bed. 4 if bed shared.
- Stable Stephanie sleeps 2 on king bed and double sofa bed. 4 if beds shared.
Katrina Boydon, Owner/Manager 01691 791 624 office 07983 219 939 mobile